We have a commitment to certified organic food
All of our fruit and vegetables are certified organic unless there is a problem with availability. If so we may then stock uncertified organic these are clearly marked as such.
We have been decreasing non-organic stock with organic as it becomes available.
The reason we also stock non-organic products relates to some of the original aims of the co-op:
- Providing cheap wholefoods: for some staples the difference in price between organic and non-organic is quite high, so we provide a cheaper option on some products.
- Providing food for people with allergies: not all gluten-free etc. products we stock are available organic.
WHAT IS ORGANIC FOOD?
- Food that has been grown without the routine use of agricultural chemicals such as: fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, growth regulators, or colour / flavour enhanchers
- It is also food that has been processed from organic produce, without synthetic additives like: stabilisers, emulsifiers, antioxidants, preservatives, colourants, etc.
WHAT IS CERTIFICATION ?
One of the biggest differences between conventional and organic food production is the requirement for certification. Organic certifiers represent the consumer, and provide the guarantee that the producer has complied with a detailed set of strict standards and rules.
We purchase in order of priority:
- Certified Organic
- Certified Organic in Transition
- Uncertified Organic - this means produce is grown using organic methods, but has not been audited by a certifying body.
Within New Zealand there are several ways of labelling certified organic products, including Bio-Gro label, Demeter label (Biodynamic agriculture), OrganicFarmNZ label.
We sell produce with the following certifications:
- BioGro - ww.biogro.co.nz - Certifies and accredits over 750 producers, farmers and manufacturers across New Zealand and the Pacific. Since the 1st October 2016, BioGro is owned by the Soil & Health Association. The Soil & Health Association is the largest membership organisation supporting organic food and farming in New Zealand and one of the oldest organic organisations in the world, established in 1941.
- DEMETER - www.biodynamic.org.nz - is a worldwide certification system for products from biodynamic agriculture. In New Zealand the Demeter trademark was registered in 1984. A comprehensive verification process insures strict compliance with the international Demeter production and processing standards. Motivated by Rudolf Steiner's spiritual foundations for the renewal of agriculture and Goethe's conception of nature, Demeter farmers view their farms as individually unique living organisms. An integral part of biodynamic agriculture, are the Biodynamic Preparations, made directly on the farms and applied in small amounts; like classical homeopathy. For decades, biodynamic research has investigated the effects of planetary events on agricultural crops. To observe and understand the cosmic dimension in plant and animal life is a daily challenge to the Demeter farmer.
- OrganicFarmNZ - www.soil-health.org.nz - This new NZ label has been set up by the Soil and Health Association of NZ with funding from the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. OrganicFarmNZ will enable small-scale organic growers to sell their product on the local market while giving consumers confidence that the food they buy is of the same standard as that produced under the Bio-Gro, Demeter and Certenz labels. There are different local certifying bodies under this scheme, for example:
- FNO - www.farnorthorganics.orcon.net.nz - Far North Organic growers & producers.
- CCOF - California Certified Organic Farmers, Founded in 1973.
- NASAA - The National Association for Sustainable Agriculture Australia, formed in 1986.
Here is a list of Overseas certifications you find on other products we sell:
BFA - Biological Farmers Association - Australia
BIOAGRICERT -Italian organic certification
BIOLOGICO - Italian organic certification
BOLICERT - Bolivia
COFA – California Organic Foods Act 1950
ECO/BIOAGRI - Brazil
ECOCERT - France
ECOCERT ITALIA - Italy
FVO - Farm Verified Organic - USA
IFOAM - International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements - Global
IMO - Switzerland
MAFF - Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food - UK
OCIA - Organic Crop Improvement Association - USA
OFA - Organic Federation of Australia
OPAM - Organic Producers of Manitoba - Canada
QAI - Quality Assurance International - Global
SKAL-EKO - International Inspection & Certification Organisation - Global
TIMOR ORGANIC - Government of East Timor / NASAA aligned